Our History… Bryan, Ohio native Charles Walton opened his bakery in the late 1800′s and included fudge in his assortment of sweets. One of his employees, Wayne Winans eventually married Walton’s daughter and they opened their own bakery in Piqua. During the Great Depression, the townspeople would bring their sugar rations to Wayne and he would make cookies for them. Wayne Winans’ son Max soon became interested in fudge making. He and his brother Dick eventually opened a bakery in Bellefountain and later opened a candy store in Piqua, known as the Carriage House. By 1961, Max and Dick began making hand-dipped chocolates and expanded their candy line, marking the opening of Winans Fine Chocolates and Coffees in Piqua, OH.